This classic Caribbean marinade is a spicy mix of allspice, thyme and chili peppers.
- Jerk Marinade: Stir together oil, soy sauce, lime juice, green onions, garlic, ginger, thyme, chili pepper, allspice, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Jerk Chicken: Fill FoodSaver® Container with the marinade and chicken; turn the valve to the marinate setting, remove the liquid reservoir, connect the FoodSaver® Handheld Sealer and press the Marinate Button. Allow the sealer to run a 12-minute cycle to infuse chicken with marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium; grease grate well. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- Grill chicken, turning, for 20 to 25 minutes or until grill marked, and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165˚F.
- Alternatively, roast chicken on parchment paper–lined baking sheet in preheated 220˚C oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 73˚C.
- This marinade is well known for chicken, but it’s also great for seafood and veggies. Grill, roast or slow-cook meat in stews after marinating.
- Adjust the level of jerk spice with the variety of chili pepper used. For spicy jerk, use habanero or scotch bonnet chili peppers and double the cayenne pepper in the recipe. For a less-spicy marinade, use jalapeño or finger chili peppers, and add only a pinch of cayenne or omit entirely if preferred.
Per 1/4 recipe
Total Fat 26g
Saturated Fat 7g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Total Sugars 1g
Vitamin D 0.3mcg
Nutrition note: estimated 25% of the marinade is used for the chicken with the remainder discarded.